Incomparable Sachin Dev Burman – the Life and Works of SD Burman
‘Sachin Dev Burman’ or ‘SD Burman’ or ‘Burman Dada’… whichever way you take this name, it will spell magic in music! 🙂
Blue Pencil. a venture of Learning & Creativity-Silhouette Magazine and an imprint of Wisitech, is proud to present the Revised and Updated Second Edition of HQ Chowdhury‘s celebrated work Incomparable Sachin Dev Burman, the first published biography of the maestro, originally published in 2011. The delightful 470-pages book takes you through his life and works is priced at Rs.599.
Incomparable Sachin Dev Burman
Author: HQ Chowdhury
Publisher: Blue Pencil (a venture of Learning and Creativity-Silhouette Magazine)
MRP: Rs. 599
Available on: Amazon
To Buy Contact: email@example.com
- Painstakingly meticulous and accurate, this biography of music maestro SD Burman is written with incredible thoroughness by author HQ Chowdhury. It chronicles his family background, childhood, early days in Comilla and Calcutta, his amazing passion for music of the rustic hinterland and his rigorous training under his gurus.
- A Special Foreword written by Santoor maestro Padma Vibhushan Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma and an Introduction by Film Music Historian Manek Premchand lend valuable added perspectives to the remarkable personality and genius of SD Burman.
- In the world of Hindi film music, he was popularly known as the music composer SD Burman or Burman Dada. But in West Bengal and Bangladesh he was an all-time great singer, Sachin Karta or Sachindev. The book traverses the two musical worlds of Sachin Dev Burman – one as a composer and the other, as a singer – and makes it available in a language common to all.
- Burma Dada’s thoughts and beliefs, successes and failures, his innocence and penchant for perfection, and his style of working – all come through in the detailed descriptions, facts, analyses, interviews and anecdotes, collected and written by HQ Chowdhury.
- The complete and detailed Discography lists all the songs Burman Dada has sung or given music for in Bengali and Hindi. Along with a collection of rare pictures this book will serve as a great resource of students of modern Bengali songs, Hindi film songs and vintage Bollywood films.
Incomparable Sachin Dev Burman is a personal and in depth overview of an all time great maestro of the Indian subcontinent. Hardly a situation goes by when one does not see a reference to something as “SD” or “Sachin Karta” when Hindi film music or modern Bengali songs are discussed. He was part of the DNA of these genres. What began in the early thirties of the last century continues to draw attention even today as his music had an allure and flavour that remains unprecedented. He was an institution … as a composer, as a singer. Here was a master who also drew out the best from his singers, lyricists and instrumentalists and helped them excel in their craft. This book by HQ Chowdhury was first published in 2011 to much critical acclaim.
Incomparable Sachin Dev Burman offers a full fledged story of the composer singer covering his successes, failures, idiosyncrasies and what peers thought of him. Painstakingly accurate and meticulous, this SD Burman biography is written with incredible thoroughness by author HQ Chowdhury.
Highly acclaimed among Indian music books, Incomparable Sachin Dev Burman is a collector’s delight.
About the Author
HQ Chowdhury is a freelance writer on music and films. He first wrote in the late 1960s for the People, an English daily from Dhaka and then for a while in the early 1970s for Cine Advance, published from Kolkata and Mumbai. He is a recipient of the 2006 ‘Sachin Dev Burman Award’ from the Government of Tripura, India.
HQ Chowdhury is the CEO of Plasma Plus, an application laboratory of science and technology of which he is also the founder. He was listed in the Marquis WHO’s WHO in the World of Professionals from 1997 to 2002.
Incomparable Sachin Dev Burman unveiled in Bangalore
To buy, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope you enjoyed reading…
We are editorially independent, not funded, supported or influenced by investors or agencies. We try to keep our content easily readable in an undisturbed interface, not swamped by advertisements and pop-ups. Our mission is to provide a platform you can call your own creative outlet and everyone from renowned authors and critics to budding bloggers, artists, teen writers and kids love to build their own space here and share with the world.
When readers like you contribute, big or small, it goes directly into funding our initiative. Your support helps us to keep striving towards making our content better. And yes, we need to build on this year after year. Support LnC-Silhouette with a little amount – and it only takes a minute. Thank you
Got a poem, story, musing or painting you would like to share with the world? Send your creative writings and expressions to email@example.com
Learning and Creativity publishes articles, stories, poems, reviews, and other literary works, artworks, photographs and other publishable material contributed by writers, artists and photographers as a friendly gesture. The opinions shared by the writers, artists and photographers are their personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of Learning and Creativity emagazine. Images used in the posts (not including those from Learning and Creativity's own photo archives) have been procured from the contributors themselves, public forums, social networking sites, publicity releases, Morguefile free photo archives and Creative Commons. Please inform us if any of the images used here are copyrighted, we will pull those images down.